The Plum School District has traced its roots back to the early 1800s when the first school house in the area was built in 1806 near Plum Creek. The first high school in Plum Township was formally dedicated in October of 1940. About the time that Plum Township was granted the status of borough, March 2, 1956, the town’s demographics started to change, from mainly an agricultural town, to a suburban residential community. The small school district of 1,500 students in 1958 grew to a large system of over 6000 students by the 1973-1974 school year. Throughout the transitions in the Plum Borough School District configuration, the original high school facility evolved into Pivik Junior High. At present, Plum Borough School District has 3 elementary schools Center (K-4), Pivik (K-4), Holiday Park(5-6), one junior high school (A.E. Oblock) for grades 7 and 8, and one senior high school (Plum Senior High School) for grades 9 through 12. The district now services approximately 3,600 total students with a faculty and staff of over 450.
Plum Borough is located in southwestern Pennsylvania approximately 13 miles east of the city of Pittsburgh. It is the second largest borough in the state and the largest in Allegheny County. Plum Borough covers an area of twenty-nine square miles with a population of approximately 28,000 persons according to the 2010 census. Most of the community is a suburban residential area with some light industry.