Welcome to the Kidsburgh events listing. Most events in this calendar are user-submitted. To submit your event, please visit our Submit Event page. Please limit the file sizes of uploaded photos to 1MB (1,000KB). Photos larger than 1MB will be removed.
- This event has passed.
Community Development, Ability and Age Justice – Discussion Group
March 6 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
During the month of February, learn more about community development (especially housing and transit) and its connections to ability justice and age justice. Then, join a discussion group with other people your age. Open to all!
This is an experimental study group that doesn’t have one shared book. You choose what you read or watch! Here are just a few suggestions:
* Choose a selection of articles or videos related to community development, ability and age justice
* Read the book Disability Visibility, edited by Alice Wong, or The Divided City: Poverty and Prosperity in Urban America by Alan Mallach
* Read the Youth Voice Best Practices Toolkit from Remake Learning
We’re focusing on community development, ability oppression and age oppression this month. This means we’ll be reading more about how decisions about planning, especially related to transit and housing, disproportionately impacts individuals oppressed by their age or ability status, as well as by race, class and other identities. You can choose to read more about community development and intersectional social impacts by citizenship, gender, class, race, religion, sexuality or any other identity.
As you read or watch, find a way to take action in your own community and come ready to talk about it!
Come prepared to talk about:
• What did you read, watch or listen to this month to increase your personal learning?
• How are you now taking action (or committing to taking action) based on what you learned?</br?